- last post: 01.01.0001 12:00 AM PDT
My apologies if this has already been posted to death, a search didn't come up with any entries for "suggestions" (plus I am new to this board). I am sure Bungie & Pals would not accept suggestions for Halo 2 features since they already probably have a solid plan of action, but I have a couple that I could not possible pass up at least trying to let someone know. My primary suggestion for a guantlet level/feature would maginify the replay value billion-fold in my opinion. Here are a few (ok more than a few) suggestions I thought up. Some were inspired by others ideas so I can't take full credit.
* Downloadable addon levels, vehicles, enemies, multiplayer skins, weapons, weather effects, etc.
* Custom multiplayer music.
* Xbox-linkable campaign playing so each player would get his/her own fullscreen if desired, with 3+ player campaigns possible, with porportionate increase in enemies.
* Bots. 'nuff said? Nope. Bots that are *good*, not like the Marines that have less IQ than the ammo they're firing. Configurable skill level, skins, etc.
* Character ranking of the savegames on your drive, based on levels and difficulties completed, a career-length tally of multiplayer games won with stats, and password-required character saves so someone couldn't mess up your stats (not sure how you'll enter them though unless it is a specific button-sequence instead of a keyboard-typing word because everyone could see that).
* Deployable defense items, such as destroyable automatic turrets/cannons, shields with destroyable generators and various in-level armor addons (akin to Starseige Tribes).
* More specialized enemies such as Gold Sword Hunters, Plasma-Sniper Hunters, etc.
* Reducible armor of enemies, akin to the way you can apparently now destroy parts of vehicles. For instance, Hunters having greater armor but can be repeatedly damaged so that some falls off, but with the added difficulty that they become faster from the reduced weight, and more aggressive at attacking you.
* Enemies should be able to dual-wield also.
* Enemies that are twice as tall or larger, akin to a Rancor from the Star Wars series (Jabba's pit).
* A guantlet-type level under the multiplayer section but playable optionally with just one player or up to 16 on one team. Waves of enemies come in dropships in a large level, repeatedly, forever. With each new wave comes better skill of enemies and thus greater difficulty. Various styles of guantlets, such as primarily sniper-based (such as guarding a structure in a D-Day fashion as they invade your coastline or being in a watchtower over a covenant prison break) or primarily close-combat such as inside a T&R-beamup room with 360-degree doors. In addition to each wave getting progressively harder (slowly though, to make the guantlet as long as possible, but with settings to decide whether you want to start out with easy enemies or start with more difficult ones), there would be a "miniboss wave" of say.. six Hunters or Brutes that were specialized, like 2 Camo-Hunters, 2 Dual-wield Fuelrod Hunters and 2 Gold Sword Brutes. Maybe gradually more Hunters/Brutes (+1-2) in each successive miniboss wave. Game would keep a record of the highest level (up to inifinity) of wave number you survived.
* An timed or untimed (configurable) obstacle course requiring usage of various weapons in a target practice, grenade use, vehicle use in a Maw-run fashion, small set of enemies in a room, etc.
* A random level generator. Would create "Halo" (as in, the 2nd level from original Halo game) style, AotCR style, etc. automatically with waypoints needed to be reached and goals accomplished. Also a maze generator with various traps and CTF-like key retrieval to open doors, passing over a certain area spawns enemies behind you, etc.
* A level consisting of mutiple islands, with a water-transport vehicle (personnel carrier, maybe single-man sub?) to get to each one, with water-based enemies also. Note: one of the "making of" Halo videos mentioned they had originally inteded to have water enemies and made a harpoon gun for it.
* Optional play of all the original-Halo levels with the new features like dual-wield, vehicle damage, bump-mapped textures, etc.
Feel free to tack on any other suggestions anyone else has, or point me to similar threads that may/maynot include any of the above already. Gotta have that guantlet, though. Really. Do it.